The Ministry of Labour is responsible for employment and labour issues for most workers in Ontario. The Ministry’s mandate is to advance safe and fair labour practices to support the social and economic well-being of workers in the province.
The Ministry is accountable for the administration of employment and labour legislation, compliance, enforcement, complaints investigation and settlement in the following areas of employment:
- Employment rights and responsibilities
- Occupational health and safety
- Labour relations
Responsibilities of the Ministry of Labour
The Ministry of Labour administers the following legislation:
Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Employment Standards Act, 2000
- Employment Protection for Foreign Nationals Act, 2009
- Pay Equity Act
- Protecting Child Performers Act, 2015
Occupational Health and Safety
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997
- Labour Relations Act, 1990
- Ambulance Services Collective Bargaining Act, 2001
- Crown Employees Collective Bargaining Act, 1993
- Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997
- Hospital Labour Disputes Arbitration Act, 1990
- Labour Relations Act, 1995
- Public Sector Dispute Resolution Act, 1997
- Public Sector Labour Relations Transition Act, 1997
- Rights of Labour Act
The Ministry of Labour & Small Business Owners
As an employer, it is important to understand the function and purpose of the Ministry of Labour as well as how the Ministry may interact with your business.
In the event of a proactive inspection by an employment standards officer, you may be asked to provide a list of records and other documents for inspection. Let us help you prepare and proceed with business while fulfilling your obligations as an employer.
Ask how the Ministry of Labour affects your business.
Ask Employer Line’s HR specialists any employment question on our complimentary advice line. We can help you understand the Ministry of Labour and ensure your policies and procedures are compliant with the law. Don’t wait, call us today: 1-833-247-3650.